First Baptist Church of Stonington is one of over 5,834 churches in the United States that is part of the American Baptist Churches of the U.S.A. We Believe:
- In testimonies of faith rather than man-made tests of faith. We ask all new members a simple question, "Do you believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of the living God and do you accept Him as your Lord and Savior?"
- The Priesthood of All Believers. All Christians are called to minister to others and to participate as equals in the worship of God
- The authority of Scripture. We believe Scripture includes all that is necessary for Christian faith and practice. We study the bible seriously, however we understand not all human interpretations will agree. All believers are encouraged to study scripture. The unity that we seek requires neither an uncritical acceptance to any point of view, nor a rigid formulation of doctrine. The common thread that runs through all is mutual understanding and love.
- In the two ordinances Ordained by Jesus Christ:
- Baptism - Following the example of Jesus in the River Jordan, we baptize believers by immersion.
- The Lord's Supper - At the Communion Table, following the instructions of Jesus to the twelve disciples in the upper room, we remember the sacrifice of our Lord, "Do this in remembrance of Me." I Corinthians 11:24
- Local Church Autonomy.
- Separation of Church & State.
- That the Gospel calls for evangelism, social action and ecumenical co-operation.
Our members are free to believe and act in accordance with their perception of God's will for our lives. We believe our members are called to study the scriptures and to seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit in their search for truth.